Saturday, October 20, 2007

Jack Rabbit

So back when I was younger I came up with a theory on how one prepares to be a parent. You see, one can't just jump into being responsible for another person that is just asking for trouble.
Instead, if you are going to be a good parent you have to start by being responsible for something that requires less attention and gradually work your way up to baby.
This is my 6 step program to success:
1. House Plant: Water it, make sure it gets some sun, love it - must live for 6 months
2. Fish in a Bowl: Betas and Goldfish are prime candidates here, if you don't feed them they don't remember - must live for 6 months
3. Fish in an Aquarium: Slightly more high maintenance since you have to replace filters and stuff - must live for a year - I would suggest multiple fish and average the live.
4. Rodents or Reptiles: Hamsters, Mice, Rats, etc. Basically something you can hold but won't get traumatized too easily by neglect or other mishaps - must live for a year, lizards and rabbits should live longer than that but it isn't necessary
5. Cat or Dog: I don't judge, but it should be one of these Dogs are preferred since they require a bit more attention that cats. There is no time frame here, since both dogs and cats can live for a very long time, they shouldn't be kicking the bucket anytime soon but you can get rid of them in moving...
6. Now you're ready for the kid, you've cleaned up messes, loved, nurtured, and been a great preson to some lesser animals - now you can be in charge of a human.

Since I firmly believe in this process I bought a rabbit. I don't think that I am able to count this animal on my steps though since it resides with my parents. Not my fault I don't have a house to keep Jack in. But he is so cute, like an autistic dog. Oh, and house trained, he doesn't do any tricks yet but rabbits are always fun!

3 comments:

beckee said...

Crap, Wes and I could not keep our damn bird alive, and we have 3 kids...a fourth coming, I have failed your steps, but I think I am doing ok as a mom...

beckee said...

I think your program's a good one. I think when you present it you should wear american flag hammer pants and...don't forget forget the buddy system, "no more going it alone."

Andrea Griggs said...

That's why I haven't mastered the parebt thing yet!