Wednesday, July 16, 2008

In No Particular Order....

The Ranch is timeless, so instead of giving a chronology of events I'm going by topic. Well, that and I didn't download these pictures in order and I don't want to rearrange them. So we'll start with fishing. I am not a fan of fishing myself, the only thing worse that waiting for the fish to bite is when they actually do. But fishing is a big part of the ranch experience.
Lindsey is officially a murderer of fish. She caught her first fish ever! She was so proud of it that she kept it and I think is planning to have a fiber glass replica made so she can mount it on her wall when she gets back to Colorado. I took a picture of it in the sink, she has other pictures from the actual location I'm sure.
In addition to Lindsey's fish, Zerricade the destroyer also caught a fish. I am not sure if it is his first fish, but he was really excited about it. I was there for that moment, though I don't think the chub is going to make it on the wall. Incidentally the chub was caught on a fly if you wanted to catch the big fish , you had to go white trash and bust out the power bait.

You may or may not have noticed the dog in the picture. Tootsie loves fishing she tried to eat every fish that came out of the water. Even after she got hooked on Saturday and Kent has to push the barb through her lip to get it out, her enthusiasm was not to be bridled. She also enjoyed chasing the cows, chickens, peafowl, rabbits, deer... I think she actually caught a rabbit... Janice should have thought about all that before she got that dog into peak physical condition, but its too late now.
Kent's neighbors from across the street came down as well. So don't feel bad about seeing the back of this kid in the camo's head and not recognizing it, you shouldn't that's Eliza's friend Travis... or I guess Eliza's friends brother is the correct association. There were a lot of non-Johnsons at the ranch this year. Travis's whole family accounts for I think nine extra people, and Mirella brought some of her neighbor kids whose mom was in the hospital. So again, if you don't recognize someone don't worry about it.

As I said, I spent most of my time at the cabin so here are a couple of shots I took of those relatives as they wandered in, or were waiting to wander out, or it was getting dark and picture taking just sounded so much more fun than going to bed. One positive part of the whole stay at the cabin experience was watching the animals wander past. Like when one of the horses got left behind while the other two got to go out and do ranch related work, he was pretty upset and was pacing for hours. The best part of that adventure was watching the kids try to get down to the gully just on the other side of the pasture. The rain also made that more exciting. But if you made it past the vicious man killer there were tadpoles to be had in the nasty water below. I also saw some cows (imagine that cows on a ranch) and a goat, and a donkey. Exciting stuff.




You can't really experience the ranch without having to pull at least one kid out of the water. This is Heighley after such an event. I believe Jaden, Mason, and Audrey also tried to drown on this trip. But unlike the other three, Heighley could not be persuaded to go near the water again.
And this is just a cute picture of Heighley on the four wheeler, you can see she is a lot happier than she is in her previous picture.
And then we have Brenden... you may not recognize him what with the helmet and all, but that's him in the trailer. I think he went on more motorcycle/four-wheeler/truck rides than the other kids combined... that may have something to do with the fact that he stayed longer than most of them... but he really enjoys anything with a motor. He also seems to prefer it if Kent owns it. For example, he made sure to inform us on the way home that his Mom's car sucks and that he would have rather ride in Janie's (actually Kent's) Armada.
There's that donkey I was telling you about earlier, I'm not sure why it's here with the Lick Wash pictures, but like I said I'm not rearranging so note the donkey and Justin and Mason... two people you really should know. The other thing to note in this picture that is hiden behind the horse in the other picture would be the lack of vegitation... and it rained every day. Watching those kids/supervisory adults go up and down that little gorge was also entertaining. Liza catching frogs, also good for a laugh. (I wasn't bored).
Alright Lick Wash, I wasn't there, Jecca took some pictures for me which was very kind of her and I appreciate it mucho. And they aren't bad. This is the troop going in to the wash, or at least part of them. Couple of comical things to note. 1. Yes, Heighley is carrying a doll with her. That baby goes everywhere. Ok, so maybe only one comical thing, but I know that baby ended up in Cody's back pack.
Here's that Mason kid again, he and Jaden are pretty much the coolest one year oldish kids I know. I especially like that their outfits always coordinate, so they are really organized too...
I'm pretty sure they organize their efforts to keep the parents on their toes, good thing they are cute.
One of the wonderful features of the canyon is the petroglyphs. I'm not sure how they survive all the flash floods but here is Cody pointing out one of them. Unfortunately, we failed to document the stegosaurus further down the canyon/wall... I wonder if that's still there....







No comments: