Thursday, June 19, 2008

Zion National Park

Last weekend I went to Zion with my ward. It was lots of fun, I don't have a lot of stories about it but I do have some pictures that I will add as I am typing and try to comment on them as I go. I was planning on hiking the Narrows on this trip but I figured it wouldn't be a good idea since I had missed a week and a half of work because I had a bad reaction to some medication that my doctor put me on. Anyway, I went on two shorter hikes instead. The first was Emerald Pools, I was glad to not be hiking alone, my friend Marshall had hurt his foot so he came with me and Kathy, Stephanie (note the alternate spelling or this trip could become confusing really fast), and Mary Ann went on the short hike, while most everyone else went for the Narrows. So the picture that should be to the left is Marshall, Stephanie, Kathy, and May Ann. I am taking this one so I am not in it. The next one is of Marshall and me. I am scrunching down a lot since Marshall is about 5 inches shorter than me, but we're excited to go hiking.




The trail led us under a very cool waterfall so these are my best pictures that I took there. I love taking pictures and I'm excited that my camera will up load now so that I can share with my vast audience.



Marshall always takes a journal with him every where so he can write his thoughts and about the people he meets. We had just met a family from Illinois, the Dad's name was Ried I don't remember the mom or son's name, but we kept meeting up with them on the trail so we were pretty good friends by the end of the day.













The pools were not as cool as I thought they should have been and the Algae that was supposed to make them emeral was missing, but there were a lot of other awesome things to see. The red rock against the blue sky was amazing! And the squirrels would come right up to you. One of them stole an apple.

This is the view from the top, Marshall was good to be the subject of my picture, it's not great but it documents the top... probably should have taken a picture of myself here but I guess there is always next time.













And this one is just to mess with my mom, I'd say "I'm not that close to the edge..." but Marshall would say that's a lie, so... I'm pretty close to the edge. But the shot needed perspective, otherwise it would just be a nature shot with no subject and you know how I feel about that.










The sign was just too ironic to pass up.











Alright here are the next day hike pictures, we hiked Angel's Landing, it's about 5 miles round trip, but its pretty steep, I definately need to do this one again when I am feeling better, because I was just miserable by this point of the trip and I still had to drive home.



This is a view looking up at the first set of switch backs... if you are wondering if there are pictures of the second set... no.







This is a view from the top of the first switchback, at this point the hike moves into a sort of canyon going to the north side of Angel's Landing so you can hike to the summit.







I keep trying this shot, I just really like this erosion pattern in the sandstone, it's never as cool in picture as it is in real life.






I also like pictures that I can title, "me on a rock"








And this is my artistic picture for the hike, its Kathy in a rock with a very long aperture and both of us are moving. I just really like how it turned out.





So the one drama story to tell for this trip comes after this hike. I need to back up momentarily and say I drove down to Zion and my car pool buddies were Kathy, Stephanie and Kristen. Now keep in mind that I have not felt well for a couple weeks, my allergies were all flared up (I blame the sage brush), like allergy shiners bad, and I'm on my 3rd round with my fast acting inhaler for the day. Kathy's back yard flooded a couple days before and she was needing to get back to take care of some sod that was coming that day. Stephanie, Kathy and I are the first to get down but Kristen wanted to get to the summit, which is fine, that puts her about 40 minutes behind us. But really we were ready to go. We watched the rest of our group come down, I had arranged to Caravan back with Marshall and his car but we had to wait for Kristen... and she still wasn't down the mountain. Well, Marshall was overridden, and his car had to leave... people were still coming down the mountain and leaving... one of the last people down was Sam, and talking to him he didnt' drive but he figured he could get the driver of his car to wait for us down at the visitors center. After waiting for Kristen for 2 1/2 hours, we're ready to send out a search party and barring her death we were pretty ticked at that point. Kristen saunters down the mountain and informs us that after she goes to the rest room we can go. I told her we were getting on the next shuttle with or with out her. She made it back in time, but no one is talking to her, and we were the last ones out of the canyon, I'm still not feeling great, and I'm thinking that I am the last car to leave with a bunch of girls and somehow I have to get home.


Luckily that wasn't the case, Sam came through for me and got Nicole (the driver of his car) to wait for us. Initially she started leading but after missing 3 out of 3 turns between Zion and Cedar City she lost the right to lead. Also in Cedar City, we voted Kristen out of the car... we didn't tell her that but in actuality that's what happened and swapped her for Sam who was pretty fed up with his car full of estrogen and happy to switch over to a new car full of estrogen. So he kept me company, I kept losing Nicole on the interstate, which shouldn't have happened as I was using cruise control and staying in the same lane... but what can you do? I was just happy when I wasn't being tailgated.


Oh, and I'm totally crushing on Sam. Sorry I don't have a picture.

1 comment:

beckee said...

Imagine my surprise to find not one, but 2 blogs! YEAH!!!

The childhood pics of our dad & Wes are on my computer and the hard copies are packed...so, they are all packed!